Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cereal and M&M Cookies

Breakfast of Champions
Alright, so maybe cookies aren't the healthiest breakfast choice in the world.  However, I would be lying if I said I didn't eat a couple of these the next morning instead of my traditional bowl of oatmeal!  These cookies {although not the most photogenic} are surprisingly tasty and for most people {myself excluded}, very easy to make!  
My brother is actually the expert cookie chef in our house.  Back in middle school, my dad wanted to help us both have super cool science fair projects.  I got to make/watch him make a lie detector, and my brother did a huge project on the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  Seriously, his chocolate chip cookies are always a group favorite at potlucks! I'll post that recipe soon.  Anyways, he was supposed to be my "Miyagi" for this simple recipe, but neglected me and I did not know that..

a) you mix dry ingredients together before adding them to the liquids
b) I forgot the oatmeal at first....uhhh
c) unplug a mixer before touching the spatula!  No one got hurt, but it was a crisis waiting to happen!
d) over-crush the frosted flakes

So here is the recipe!  My dad jotted down the very brief form, so I'll write some more details underneath the picture for those of us that need some extra guidance ;)

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup crushed corn flakes or Special K {we only had frosted flakes, which work fine, just add less sugar!}
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup oatmeal
1 bag mini {or regular} M&M's..we got rid of some Halloween candy!

How to:
  1. Cream the butter and sugars.  Make sure to unplug the mixer if you try to touch anything inside the bowl!
  2. Add in the eggs, mixing it in slowly at first.
  3. Mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl.  Now add these, making sure to go slow.  You don't want flour to go everywhere!
  4. Crush the flakey cereal.  Now, contrary to my belief, you do not want this to be grainy!  Barely break the cereal up, such as in the third picture from the right. Add cereal and oatmeal to the mixture. 
  5. Add M&M's.  If using regular size, stir with a spoon.  If mini, they can be mixed.
  6. Roll into balls, about 3 by 3. They expand a lot!  Bake on ungreased sheets at 375 degrees for 8 minutes

Hopefully your baking experience is less dangerous and disastrous!  These work really well for kids, my 3 younger sibling all love them!  {hence, they only lasted 3 day in my house}.  
Enjoy!


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment