Monday, February 13, 2012

Rick Bayless Guacamole

Holy Mole, Guacamole!
The perfect appetizer to serve for large groups is....chips and salsa!  What makes this traditional crowd pleaser even better?  Fresh guacamole.  Yum.  I can't tell you how fast this stuff goes at my house.  I made this just 20 minutes before my boyfriend's family arrived, and we had already put significant dents in the bowl before they knocked on the door.  It's tempting.  It's fresh.  It's delicious.
Give it a try!

Ingredients:
basic:
2 medium, ripe avacados
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
salt to taste

to make it really good:
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 jalapeñ
1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
(optional: tomato)

How to:
Cut the avacado in half, running your knife around the pit from stem to blossom end and back up again.  Twist the halves in opposite directions to free the pit and pull the halves apart.  Dislodge the pit, then scoop the avocado into a medium bowl.  
Mash the avocado with a large fork.  Stir in the garlic and about half a teaspoon of salt and any other ingredients you have chosen.  If you use white onion, make sure to rinse under cold water for about 20 seconds to get rid of any overwhelming flavor that would taint the guacamole.  

Luckily for me, my dad helped with the onion!  If you've been following my previous posts you're probably well aware that I get super teary eyed when chopping those pesky things up.

Serve with chips and enjoy!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment