Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Spicy New England Clam Chowder

A Seafood Lover's Favorite
As long as I can remember my family has been making this delicious {and spicy!} clam chowder in the winter months.  It's warm, tasty, and really gets those sinuses cleared up!  Definitely a hiccup recipe for me, if you know what I mean {reference to another blog post}.  The other afternoon I finally decided to own up and learn this recipe, because I can guarantee it will be one I'll keep on hand for years.  I was surprised it took me this long to learn how to make it; it was so simple.  So now, I am imparting my wisdom and delicious recipe on you all! 

Ingredients:
{like these flowers in the background?  DIY blue mason jar tutorial here}

1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups milk
5 cans minced clams, undrained
2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves*
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper 

*my family prefers crushed rosemary, the chunks are kind of weird!

How to:
Melt butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour, salt and cayenne.  Stir until smooth.  Remove from heat.  Add milk all at once and whisk thoroughly.  Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.  
Note: This is better made the day before!  Gets very flavorful :)  Also, it freezes well.

My only complaint would be the chopping of the onions!  I swear I cry enough to make the soup when I chop 'em!   {okay, maybe not that much..that would be a bit excessive}.  I had to take many breaks in order to finish them.  Ahh, the day when I can chop onions quickly..that will be the life!
Sorry it's been a little while since I've posted.  I actually made this recipe {and an upcoming cereal cookies recipe} this weekend but have been rather busy with school and volleyball practice.

As always, enjoy and please comment if you try this or have any questions!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment