Thursday, January 26, 2012

The First Supper

Homemade Marinara Sauce


Today I decided to make some homemade, marinara sauce!  Quick and simple, it seemed like a good start for a novice cook such as myself.  I've got to say, it turned out quite tasty!  I just got home from yoga and pilates and am munching on it as I write. Who would have thought yoga would work up such a large appetite?  Anyways, I chose to put mine over some cheese ravioli, but this sauce would work well over any sort of noodle.  I hope you try it out -- it's really a yummy, easy meal to make!  I think the white wine really adds a unique taste that makes this much better than Newman's sauce or another canned marinara.

Ingredients:  

                       1/2 cup olive oil                                                           1/2 teaspoon dried basil
                       2 cloves garlic, halved                                                  1 tablespoon chopped parsley
                       1 can (1 lb. 12 oz) plum tomatoes                                1/2 cup white wine
                       1 teaspoon oregano                                                     salt & pepper to taste 


How to:

Place oil in an 8" or 10" skillet and heat.  Add the garlic pieces; brown.  Meanwhile, place the tomatoes in a blender at the lowest speed for not more than a few seconds -- do not purée.  When the garlic is a golden brown, turn off the flame and let the pan cool a few minutes.  Then add the tomatoes and turn the flame back on.  Add the spices; bring to a boil, and let simmer for 30 minutes.  With the pan covered, then add the wine {and fresh basil if you are using it}, let simmer another 5 minutes, and turn off the flame.  Remove the garlic pieces and the sauce is ready! I added some fresh basil on top of mine; it adds a nice, fresh look to a very simple meal!  {serves four}


If you make this let me know what you think/how it goes for you!  I'd love to hear some feedback.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment